Wednesday 28 March 2012


Choosing the Boat (1)

What skills do I have?

Over the past few weeks I’ve been making checklists. I used the first one to list the types of work which might be encountered in building, restoring or renovating a boat. I found it a really valuable, but painful exercise, having to admit to myself just how limited my skill and knowledge really is.
The time spent was well worth it though. Now I know I won’t be building a brand new boat in wood or steel. I also know that I’ll probably try to avoid working on gas fittings, and that I have a good deal of reading to do if I have to deal with 12 volt electrics.

Anyway here was my starting point and I’d like to think the time and effort will be rewarded when I start the real work – hopefully in choosing my boat I won’t bite off more than I can chew
.
Checklist 1: About me (strengths and weaknesses) (scores out of 10)
Task
Personal Skills/ Knowledge
Score
Action
Woodwork
Got a GCE in 1967, but that wouldn’t make me a boat builder. Built a Mirror Dinghy (stitch and glue) It floated. Good for Something
3
Tool up for small jobs – don’t buy a wooden boat or try to build one!
Working GRP
Some experience in repair and cosmetic  improvement, glassing in and stitch and glue construction – I’m a bit messy though
5
Like wood – can probably get away with small stuff but could not undertake a build or a major repair
Painting / Varnishing
Not too bad – I know enough to understand that preparation is the key
7
This is probably my best skill – could make a boat look pretty – my painting is better than my varnishing though
Engine maintenance /repair
I Know nothing!
0
This is something I will have to pay for. So single engine and keep it simple to keep costs down
Electrical systems and installation
Could fit a new VHF of wiring was already installed. It’s all 12 volt isn’t it?
2
Actually this is something I’m interested in because it has a direct relationship to shipboard comfort. So I need to read up all I  can and always stay with the low tech solution
Plumbing
Nothing – on a boat it might be quite simple – but through hull joints and fittings will have to be very well done
0
As above, lots of reading to do but if its kept simple I should be able to cope
Sewing – canvass work needle work
Nothing – but I know someone who does!
0
Convince Susan that this is her project as much as mine – consider a sweetener – Call the Boat Susan!
Rope work – Knots, splicing etc
No too bad – can do all the sailing knots and a few fancy ones for gingerbread work. Can make up halyards, mooring lines etc. Could not handle wire rigging
8
That’s my winter evenings taken up
Metal work – welding etc
Never done it – will have to avoid or learn
0
Don’t buy a steel boat!
Gas fitting
Everything I have reads suggests gas on boats can be dangerous and should be fitted by a qualified expert -
0
Get it done properly or find an alternative

Guess I'd better stay away from a wooden boat

Seaward

1 comment :

  1. That's pretty good, but it seems that your list are full. Just thinking how it'll cost you to renovate such big boat. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome, advice is particularly sought, please try to stay on subject ( within reason)