Wednesday 26 December 2012

Boat Renovation Stung into Action



In a previous post I highlighted differences in attitudes towards doing up an old boat. Preservation, Conservation or Renovation. A good friend and well respected reader and a blogger in his own right, (The Unlikeley Boat Builder) suggested that in my case 'prevarication' might be more appropriate term. He might as well have said ‘Just get on with it why don’t you?’. I can take a hint.

So, the last few dry days have been spent taking home every bit of moveable wood from the boat (to sand and treat in relative comfort) and working on the rubbing strake to try to improve and protect it before the worst of the winter comes. The original manual for the boat describes the wood as ‘African Teak’ and further research on the internet suggests that this was a euphemism for Iroko. According to the internet, it is a teak-like wood but slightly courser and more brittle.

The rubbing streak  was sound but dirty and neglected so I opted for sanding to begin with and I was pleasantly surprised how little effort was required to get back to new looking wood. I used a Boch detail sander for this job with 80 grade sandpaper to get at the worst, followed by 120 grade to smooth it out before applying a preservative.

Firstly a few comments on the Boch. This is my third sander in as many months – in renovating the house I have used and burned out a Black and Decker and a McAlister. For the boat therefore I chose to spend a little more money in the hope that the increased investment would pay off through longer life. So far so good – although already I’ve had to replace the sanding pad. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. I’ll keep you posted.

Having got back to clean wood the big question had to be about the choice of preservative. There is a good deal of literature suggesting that varnish is not good with teak or teak-like woods. They’re too oily and varnish won’t adhere, so the argument goes. On the other hand, there seems to be an equal number of people who advise against oil coatings – according to them, they don’t last and they don’t produce the mirror like shine you can get with varnish. Others, long distance voyagers in particular, suggest avoiding all oils and varnishes in favour of paint which is a much tougher coating. So what to do? I was especially confused because yet another school of thought suggests that if you really want to preserve wood you should epoxy it as a kind of GRP sheathing.

In the end, I decided that for this year at least, I would use a variety of techniques and then, having found the best one, apply that technique everywhere ‘as and when’ I had occasion to renew or refresh wooden parts. SO, for the rubbing strake I have applied a new International Paints Product known as Woodskin. 

According to the literature, it is part wood sealer, part oil, and, so long as you sand between coats, you can add more coats whenever required. A can cost me 44 Euros so it had better be good! The manufacturers say it can be used as a stand-alone product or a base prior to varnishing. I’ve got two coats on and I’ll varnish before launching. For now though, I’m pleased to have seen an improvement and to have got some protection into and onto the wood, which has come up a beautiful honey colour. Not shiny, but with enough sheen to glow in the winter sunlight.

Seaward


3 comments :

  1. Oil and varnish are on a continuum, with oil (in the boat world) usually being linseed oil, and varnish a combination of linseed oil, pine tar, and turpentine. That's why it's fine to oil wood before varnishing.

    I never heard of Woodskin before, but from their website, it sound like it's somewhere on the oil-varnish continuum, leaning towards the oil end.

    The main problem with teak oil as an exterior finish is that you need to renew it too often… like every week or so. Of course, no one keeps up with it, so it goes to pot by the end of the summer.

    The main (and perhaps only) problem with varnish is that it takes so long to apply. Basically, you can only do one coat a day — fewer in lousy weather — so it might take you a few weeks to finish the job. Most people don't have the patience, BUT patience is a skill worth practicing when it comes to boats. Properly applied, varnish is a superb finish that requires minimal maintenance. My varnished boomkins looked just as nice at the end of the summer as they did at the beginning. I wish I could say the same for all my finishes.

    On the other hand, varnish is not a great finish for a rub rail… by definition, the rail going to take some knocks. That means cracks in the surface and potential water intrusion. You can easily touch up varnish, but it would be an unnecessary fight on a rub rail. I'd stick with your Woodskin for a season, and see how it holds up.

    For the same reason I would NOT — repeat NOT — epoxy the rub rail. The first time you bang against a dock, the epoxy will crack, water will get underneath it and not be able to get out, and rot will commence. Epoxy is not so easy to touch up as varnish.

    IMHO, it would be a crime to paint the rub rail, with paint or any of the paint-like stains that are marketed as varnish replacements. Not only are they ugly, they will have the same wear problems as varnish or epoxy.

    Finally, I'm guessing Commander Rayner knew what he was doing when he chose Iroko for a rub rail. From Wikipedia:

    "It is a very durable wood; iroko does not require regular treatment with oil or varnish when used outdoors. Although it is almost as durable as teak, it does not have the same stability"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should make modifications to the site title so that
    you can something more snappy. Initially when i first manifested itself 2 alternative outcomes, because the masai have a greater title.

    Nevertheless a few things i needed I ran across below.
    Stop by my page :: Good life

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome, advice is particularly sought, please try to stay on subject ( within reason)